[1]

Well, we had some great fun yesterday with the Mystery Person
Contest. Lots of good guesses, but in the end no correct answers, so
by the rules of the game, I am the winner. I updated yesterday's
post, and you can read about the Mystery Woman. Now, back to this
week. This will be Great Depression Week. We have not looked at the
Great Depression in some time. The picture above was taken in 1938 in
Jarreau, Louisiana. Children are waiting in the car for their
parents. I really enjoy studying the Great Depression. The angle I
like to look at is not so much how bad it was, but how much character
it built. I think it set the stage and helped define America's
greatest generation. This was a generation of Doers and Savers. We
have become a generation of Watchers and Spenders. *Domestic
Update:* You all have been asking for a Domestic Update, so here
goes. First, that peacock is definitely up to something. Now that I
have gone back to work, his project out behind Chickie Town has
resumed. If you look at the picture below, it appears that he has
constructed some sort of large concrete slab. [2] I am not sure
what the intended purpose is, but I noticed in the corner the
initials T.D. has been marked in the concrete. The slab appears to be
about 40X40 in size. I have been busy as well. This last week I put
in the first part of a fruit orchard. I had 2 18 wheel truckloads of
dirt moved in, spread the dirt out, and put in 6 trees. I have 3
peach, 2 apple, and 1 apricot trees. The trees were bare root, so
they do not show up well in the picture. [3] In the bean barn,
my lettuce crop is getting going. I plant one row of lettuce each
week, so it will mature over time. I did not want to plant the whole
system at once, as day would come that 350 heads of lettuce would be
ready on the same day. Below, you can see the first few rows have
been planted, and the first lettuce is starting to look good. [4]
The tomatoes continue to do well. I really enjoy being able to go
out in the middle of winter and pick ripe tomatoes off the vine. The
vines are continuing to produce much more than we can eat. [5] I
would really like to figure out how to have a nice corn patch and
black eyed pea patch. I would likely have to have a lot of dirt moved
in for that to happen. I worry that the peacocks and chickies would
eat the seedlings before they had a chance to come up. So, I am still
pondering how to do the corn and pea patch. [6]
[7]

Links:
------
[1] https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjld_ZLFVNFM4PAaIZzJ-o0uEekoVSeWTy-ZR_gdmDUzE4QIfFLZLdspZtxbfzNP4jsQuAyU38PJTfS-H39eRtT0mI1gt2_GquScu_EVWviO9431N1q59KERz211AqoA1SnQO6BxM2QSj6Q/s1600/poor-girl.jpg
[2] https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhb7ORpPBskMkj4kPNHK4kCJc1VmeTrJqsmI24Sbhn5THBgPDwezjtariXSHk_vfXzmvMgGi-1QA7f_XBJsMP6KdePsYm_lBO9bRZMZr64lPwTVXIT_Dy6AUn3cjGknYd7TUWz6bmJLiYvk/s1600/concrete-slab.jpg
[3] https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi76LTJE8uNj59j2ARHL2qR9GIqiaHKxEdW9LXahJmUJl3E_8oB5HKxVxx9rQ0dm0J67TjhPam1AZ-418DCEzV0MCoeBUOKkt0_HVTcUldixrdneOLb7Tc1OvexFhBGwAD1h1DeTCGs3ik0/s1600/orchard.jpg
[4] https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhomOlMwLUsbtFcnoYmLErQJfY9nO3DLnPmgaXheA0TNhRmsUU9lo4ASrbq6-wN69uvwcsTKT9Psqp0Kjew1eWBGLdt2tRlBH7JmM1A4DXu4X13JEjreMmJb5y25ubfaqrrcPa9r2PHC_YU/s1600/lettuce-crop.jpg
[5] https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj89JOmskeBK6JCYPhA3swgdfrrDSlgGyB7YUpIAChldZRST9-1vayKoDFZH8F7jKNC76DzZWWCXhyxxHbEFMGwaynhuiDvNnRgk3PCwP2HlKy_Ms_IfUiZZ80ZBhwn_2FF3eAOyTTb92oP/s1600/vine-ripe-tomatoes.jpg
[6] http://feedads.g.doubleclick.net/~a/pv8sQlBk37C6FpaIy7GQ0eExJ0w/0/da
[7] http://feedads.g.doubleclick.net/~a/pv8sQlBk37C6FpaIy7GQ0eExJ0w/1/da

0 comments