It is hunting season once again in Texas, and we commemorate this by declaring this to be Hunting Week on Old Picture of the Day. This picture was taken in 1908, and shows a young boy that had just bagged a fine rabbit. You can bet his family had a nice batch of Rabbit Stew that night. It is hard for me to tell if he is carrying a rifle or a shotgun.
Growing up in Texas, I grew up loving hunting. I got my first BB gun when I was six years old. I would hunt birds with it. The rule around my house was that if you were ALWAYS responsible with the BB gun, at age 11 you could purchase a 22. With a 22 I could hunt rabbits and other varmints. A little later I was able to get a 410 shotgun, and then on up to a deer rifle. When I was in High School and College, there was nothing I liked more than going deer hunting. I loved being out early with my friends, and all the things that went along with hunting. When I moved to New Mexico, I was no longer able to hunt, since I did not have a place there to hunt. Now that I am back, I don’t hunt. It is funny in that all the other things about hunting still appeal to me, but for some reason, I just don’t want to shoot a deer. I am in favor of hunting, and am all for people who hunt, I just personally no lo! nger want to kill a deer. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age.


0 comments