Today’s picture features a group of insurrectos from 1912. I think there is a lot to work with in this picture. First, note that the man on the left is wearing a necktie, and appears to be wearing suspenders. We applaud this. Just because you are a bandit does not mean that you can not try and bring a little style and sophistication to the job. Don’t be fooled by the nice clothes, he has a rifle, two Bandoliers around his waiste, and a nice revolver to boot. Oh yes, and thank you to Jack Hammell who pointed out to me yesterday that the bullet belts are called “Bandoliers“. I knew that, but only knew how to say the word . . . I could not figure out how to spell it. So, since there is this spelling/grammar Nazi watching my every move on this blog, I felt I should just use “bullet belt”, since I knew how to spell that (OK, just kidding George). The second man appears to be trying to develop the Cowboy Bandit look. He is sporting a cowboy hat and vest. He is wearing three Bandoliers around his waste. I feel this is a bridge too far, and the third one appears to be riding up near his rib cage. I appreciate his efforts but would suggest he lose the western look and get those Bandoliers up over the shoulders. The third guy just looks like a real bad dude. Real old school. Nothing fancy, but plenty of ammo, and a rifle, and what looks like a Colt in his belt. The fourth guy, now I like what he has going on. I like the long riding jacket. His hat says “bandit”, but at the same time, hints at a touch of sophistication. For this guy, the vest and tie definitely work. He would be at home in the Catina in Juarez, or the finest gambling establishment in Kansas City. The fifth guy, well, this just does not work for me. My best advise to him would be to lose the sweater. He looks like his mom dressed him, gave him a peanut butter sandwich, and then sent him off the the revolution. The sixth man, the man on the right, well he is the full package. He has four, yes four, Bandoliers . . . two around the waist and one over each shoulder in classic bandit fashion. He has an exquisite hat, perfect for the business he is in, and perfect for the picture. He has a bandanna around the neck which could easily be pulled up over the face to shield his identity, or to protect him from dust on a hard charge. Yes, I have to say our man on the right has the classic look we have been searching for over the last two weeks.


0 comments